What to Put in an Empty Fireplace
An empty fireplace can be a beautiful focal point in a room, but it can also be a challenge to fill. Whether you have a non-functional fireplace or simply want to add some visual interest, there are plenty of creative options to consider. In this article, we will explore some unique ideas on what to put in an empty fireplace, transforming it into a stunning decorative element in your home.
1. Candles: Place a collection of pillar candles in varying sizes inside the fireplace. When lit, they will create a warm, inviting glow and bring a cozy ambiance to the space. Opt for unscented candles to avoid overpowering the room with fragrance.
2. Logs: If you want to maintain the rustic charm of a traditional fireplace, stack logs inside it. You can use real firewood or faux logs made of resin or concrete for a maintenance-free option. Arrange them neatly to create an appealing visual display.
3. Books: Transform your empty fireplace into a mini-library by stacking books inside it. Arrange them horizontally or vertically, depending on your preference. Consider using old, weathered books for a vintage touch, or color-coordinate the spines for a more modern look.
4. Plants: Bring some life into your empty fireplace by placing potted plants inside. Choose plants that thrive in low-light conditions, such as snake plants or pothos. This will add a touch of greenery and freshness to your space.
5. Decorative objects: Showcase your favorite decorative objects inside the fireplace. This could include sculptures, vases, or art pieces. Arrange them in a visually pleasing composition, considering height, color, and texture.
6. Antique mirrors: Hang a large antique mirror at the back of the fireplace to create a sense of depth and reflection. This will add a touch of elegance and make the room appear larger.
7. Fairy lights: Create a magical atmosphere by filling the fireplace with fairy lights. Coil them around logs or drape them over decorative objects. When lit, the twinkling lights will add a whimsical touch to your space.
1. Can I burn real candles in an empty fireplace?
It is not recommended to burn real candles in an empty fireplace as it can pose a fire hazard. Instead, opt for flameless LED candles that provide a safe alternative.
2. How do I keep the books in place inside the fireplace?
To keep the books neatly stacked, consider using bookends or placing heavy decorative objects on either side to prevent them from toppling over.
3. Can I use any type of plant inside the fireplace?
Choose plants that can tolerate low-light conditions, as fireplaces usually don’t receive direct sunlight. Snake plants, pothos, or ferns are excellent choices.
4. How can I clean the inside of the fireplace?
Regularly dust the inside of the fireplace to keep it clean. You can use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment or a soft cloth to wipe away any dirt or debris.
5. Will placing objects inside the fireplace damage the interior?
As long as the objects are not too heavy or abrasive, they should not cause any damage to the fireplace interior. However, it’s always a good idea to place a protective barrier like a fireproof mat or tray at the bottom to prevent any potential scratches.
6. Are there any safety concerns with using fairy lights inside the fireplace?
Make sure the fairy lights you use are suitable for indoor use and avoid leaving them unattended for long periods. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for safe usage.
7. Can I combine different ideas mentioned above?
Absolutely! Feel free to mix and match these ideas to create a personalized display that suits your style and complements your space. Get creative and have fun experimenting with different combinations.